Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Apply for Membership
Community Search
FAQ
Group Home Group Home Group Pages
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
What if there are no Professional Engineers at my company? Locked Topic 0 M. Black Question: What happens if I am working for an organization that has no registered professional engineers on the staff? Answer: As a candidate you are required to show initiative in all areas of your professional development and this is one of those areas where you will have to think laterally and try and find a solution. One way to do this would be to join the local branch nearest to you of SAIMechE and talk to the members that attend. You are likely to meet someone there who may be willing to act as your Mentor and Referee or introduce you to someone who could.
by M. Black
Wednesday, 23 March 2016
How can I find a Mentor? Locked Topic 0 M. Black Question: How can I find a Mentor? Answer: If you are preparing to register on your own then you will have to find a mentor yourself. The easiest way to do this is to find out if there are registered engineers in the organization you work for. This could be your immediate supervisor or someone in another department who you can approach to be your mentor and referee. It is also a good strategy to join the local branch of SAIMechE and attend the technical presentations and meetings. Discuss your needs with your fellow attendees and find out if anyone is willing to be a Mentor or Referee.
by M. Black
Friday, 18 March 2016
Different ways to achieve competence. Locked Topic 0 M. Black Question: Are there different ways that a candidate can achieve competence? Answer: There are a variety of ways in which competence can be achieved. You can use the PDP material and work on your own at your place of work, acquiring a Mentor (who is qualified to provide the service), or by joining a PDP cell that has a Mentor assigned to it for your particular location and this requires your attendance at one workshop per month for 11 months per annum.
by M. Black
Friday, 18 March 2016
Fundamental PDP Document Locked Topic 0 M. Black Question: What is the fundamental document that sets the scene for the development of competency and professionalism and forms the basis of the curriculum for the PDP? Answer: The fundamental document supporting the development of professional competency and used to develop the PDP is “The SAIMechE Standard of Professional Competency”. This document has international support and is based on the “ECSA Standard of Professional Competency”.
by M. Black
Friday, 18 March 2016
Finding PDP Information Locked Topic 0 M. Black Question. I have become a member of SAIMechE. How do I find the Professional Development Programme (PDP) information? Answer: Find your way onto the SAIMechE website via saimeche.org.co.za. On the homepage you will find a blue bar in the centre near the top of page entitled  PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME (PDP). Click on this button and it will take you directly to the PDP Group.
by M. Black
Friday, 18 March 2016
Registration as a Professional Engineer Locked Topic 0 M. Black Question: I have just graduated and want to know how I can register with ECSA as a Professional Engineer, Technologist or Technician? Answer: Go to the website www.ecsa.co.za and click on “Candidacy Programmes” where you will find all the documents required to inform you how to locate the applicable Candidate Phase documents including procedures and formats. Read the documents and follow the instructions. Note that you will have to have at least 3 years experience after graduating before you can apply for registration. Once registered as a Candidate then go back to the ECSA website and look for the documents under “Registration Process”. Read the documents and follow the instructions and you will know what you will need to do to enable registration after your training period is completed.
by M. Black
Friday, 18 March 2016
Development of Competency Locked Topic 0 M. Black Question. I have just graduated and want to know what I can do to become a competent professional engineer, develop myself  and make progress in my career? Answer: The first thing you need to do is become a member of SAIMechE if you have not already done so as a student. This will give you access to the SAIMechE website and thereafter access to the mechanical engineering community and Professional Development Programme (PDP) Group upon application to join. Here you will find a number of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) and considered answers relating to your options. You must get the skills necessary to succeed in the professional environment. You probably were not taught these skills during your studies. These skills are described as learning outcomes in the Standard of Professional Competency. Understand the skills and how they are used in the professional environment. Incorporate the skills in your work and use the work as evidence of your ability. Do work of increasing complexity. Keep a record of your work as evidence.
by M. Black
Friday, 18 March 2016
Does a Candidate have to attend any formal meetings? Locked Topic 0 M. Black Yes, there is a monthly workshop with a specific focus on one of the Competency Standard Outcomes. This is a structured workshop with a very specific agenda with the objective of creating a clear understanding of the Outcome and the Assessment Criteria.
by M. Black
Monday, 07 April 2014
Will the PDP show me how to assess myself? Locked Topic 1 V. Rimbault The Assessment Criteria are a vital part of the programme. Competence is established if it can be demonstrated by the material contained in the Portfolio of Evidence that the Candidate has complied with the requirements of the Assessment Criteria. The Mentor's evaluation of the Candidate having met the criteria is a key component of the programme. 
by M. Black
Monday, 07 April 2014
Portfolio of Evidence - PoE Locked Topic 0 M. Black The Portfolio of Evidence is the collection of documents which will be the evidence that you have done the work required to the standard required to be declared competent.
by M. Black
Friday, 04 April 2014
How do I demonstrate competence? Locked Topic 0 V. Rimbault You demonstrate competence through evidence of work you have done yourself, which supports your claim to competence against a particular part(s) of the Standard.  This is called a "portfolio of evidence" or PoE.
by V. Rimbault
Monday, 10 February 2014
What is the Standard of Professional Competency? Locked Topic 0 V. Rimbault The Standard of Professional Competency (the Standard) describes eleven learning outcomes which completely define the skills expected of a "professional".
by V. Rimbault
Monday, 10 February 2014
Sign In

Latest SAIMechE News
Calendar

2019/03/25 » 2019/03/29
Vehicle Dynamics and Automotive Engineering 2019

2019/03/25 » 2019/03/27
HVAC Design: Level 1 - Essentials (MENA)

2019/03/28 » 2019/03/29
HVAC Design: Level 11 - Applications (MENA)

2019/07/31 » 2019/08/01
Beltcon 20

Online Surveys

Privacy Notice   ||   Terms and conditions of use